Miscellaneous - jimdigby
Powered by SmugMug Log In
Spring-Sandstone Ranch

Spring-Sandstone Ranch

Morse Coffin, a St. Vrain Valley pioneer, first homesteaded the Sandstone Ranch site in 1860. Coffin came to the St. Vrain Valley when he was 22 in 1859, from Boon's County, Illinois as part of the Gold Rush. He built the house that currently stands on the site in the early 1880s. The house has been added to over the years, but the original structure still remains. Coffin also founded the first rural public school with David Irwin and Robert Hauck. The house (current Visitors Center) and property are on State and National Historic Registers. Longmont also designated the house as a local landmark in September 2000.

springsandstone ranchhistoric architecturenorthern colorado